A Himalayan Oolong Moment

I like to start my day with something dark and serious. A cup of tea that can grab me by the shoulders and give me a good shake. But recently, I've noticed that after lunch, I've got a hankerin' for something a little more mellow. Still bold - I need to know it's there - but slightly... less intense.

Lucky for me, a lovely package arrived in the mail just this week. A gift from my new friends at London-based Chateau Rouge Luxury Teas.

I love how each package is wrapped crisply and neatly in white tissue paper within the shipping box. The luxe experience begins upon its arrival on your doorstep!
 
To keep me company this afternoon, I'm enjoying their Himalayan Oolong. The description makes me that much more eager to taste it:

A very special tea from probably one of the most beatiful tea gardens up high in the Nepalese Himalayas. This Darjeeling styled rich oolong is made entirely by hand from only the tenderest autumnal leaves, producing long, twisted dark brown spicy fragrant leaves with golden tips. A must have for any tea connoisseur!

 
I don't know if it's just my repressed romanticism rearing its timid head, but I am completely captivated by reading the words, "one of the most beautiful tea gardens..."
 
On opening the tea, I'm met with a rich, earthy scent with a very, very faint touch of spice. I brew for the recommended 3 (ish) minutes, and it's time for that first sip.
 
 

Bold, smooth, with a touch of the floral bouquet I associate with oolongs, but it is balanced with an almost woodsy note. I could see the two of us spending many a productive afternoon together.

Chateau Rouge is a very new acquaintance, but I'm really enjoying their tea as well as their approach to tea. I don't know that I've ever done this before, but I encourage you to visit their web site. Their vision is helping us - the regular Joe's of the world - "discover remarkable teas." I like it.

Comments